We are sharing this post as part of a Bloggin’ Mamas Social Good Campaign, and were not compensated for doing so.
Bloggin’ Mamas is sponsoring this giveaway in support of the Ad Council, the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of State Foresters and sharing the importance of preventing wildfires.
Get Your Smokey Mask!
The sad truth is that nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires are still caused by humans:
- In 2014 there were 7,933 wildfires caused by lightning, but 55,679 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2014 more than 3.5 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. of those, more than 1.5 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
#FirePreventionWeek on the StreetHow many of these can you get right? Let me know and maybe you’ll get a #SmokeyBearHug.
Posted by Smokey Bear on Thursday, October 8, 2015
Although most of us don’t behave this way intentionally, each year we learn of devastating wildfires caused by careless behavior which can impact millions of acres of forest and thousands of homes.
We can also be more responsible in our homes when it comes to fire safety as well. Half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Only one in five home fires was reported during these hours.
How Can You Stay Safe
- Learn how to build a SAFE campfire to prevent wildfires
- See how easily burning debris can start a wildfire
- Understand how proper equipment maintenance can reduce wildfires
- Safety is not only important indoors, but also around your property and community
Community Fire Safety
- How to prevent and detect fires inside your home
Home Fire Safety
Take The Pledge
Pledge to be smart when using fire outdoors so you can do your part to prevent wildfires.
- Understand why some wildfires are caused by careless behavior
It Could Be You
- Sign up to Take the Pledge
- National Tally
And Now for the Giveaway!
One Winner will Win a $100 Amazon Giftcard!
Giveaway begins November 5th, 2015 at 5pm EST and ends November 19th, 2015 at 11:59 pm EST.
Open to US residents age 18 and older.
Winner will be selected by Random.org and be notified by email.
See Giveaway Tools widget below for full terms & conditions.
Disclosure: Bloggin’ Mamas is hosting this giveaway and coordinating prize fulfillment. Element Associates, The Ad Council and the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of State Foresters are in no way responsible for the giveaway, and only provided the above content to be distributed in the form of a PSA.