It’s hard to believe that Spring is finally here and the snowy weather may finally be over. I’m looking so forward to playing outside with Reya and getting back to our twice a day long walks to our local little park. Right now, however, we are homebound with all these gloomy storms,and while we don’t mind rain, Reya isn’t a huge fan of thunder. While this may be cutting back on our playtime outdoors, this gives me plenty of time to bake and take care of things indoors. This is especially exciting since I have brand new toy that has already been saving us money – the Wondermill Electric Grain Mill.
By milling my own flour, I have been able to cut back on spending money on expensive natural flours and have been able to control even more of my recipes. Besides, now my family can enjoy all the wonderful nutrients that is stripped out of flour in the manufacturing process. Since I love to bake, I decided to take part in the Grain Mill Wagon Challenge – creating 3 delicious recipes using home ground flour!
For my first recipe of the challenge, I made one of my favorite recipes – banana blueberry bread! Instead of going with my traditional recipe, however, I decided to experiment by making it in my slow cooker, allowing me to take care of other chores while I bake. The finished product was baked to perfection, having the most wonderful flavor – complemented by the fresh flour that held the blueberries in place perfectly while retaining their moisture. To say the least, I think this may very well be my new favorite banana recipe!Print
Slow Cooker Banana Blueberry Bread
Love banana bread but don’t have the time to baby sit it in the kitchen? This easy banana blueberry bread cooks in under 2 hours in the slow cooker and retains the moisture of the fruit, making it a delicious breakfast treat!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 6 - 8 1x
- Category: Fruit Bread
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- 1 3/4 cups of Milled White Wheat Flour (All Purpose Flour works too)
- 2 Tsp baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Room Temperature Butter (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 1/2 Tsp Honey
- 3 Bananas
- 1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
- 4 1/2 – 5 quart Slow Cooker (do not try it in a larger slow cooker)
- Grease & flour slow cooker bowl.
- Grind your flour in the mill. If you are using all purpose flour, skip this step.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients EXCEPT for the sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix together the butter, eggs, sugar, and honey. Make sure the mixture is very evenly mixed.
- Break up the bananas and slowly add to the mixer on medium speed. The bananas should be fairly well mixed before moving forward.
- Slowly start adding the flour mixture. To avoid a mess, do it in small batches (I use a 1/4 cup measuring bowl).
- Pour mixture into your greased slow cooker.
- Make sure the blueberries are thoroughly washed and then drop them into the slow cooker. Mix slowly with a spoon to make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Cover the mixture and bake for 1 hr 30 minutes in your slow cooker on high heat. When finished, a knife or baking tester should come out clean.
- Let sit in the slow cooker until thoroughly cooled and the gently remove.
To keep the wonderful texture of the bread, I would recommend soft white winter wheat. This type of grain is better for making pastries and a variety of ‘fluffy’ or quick breads.
If you try this bread yourself, make sure to tell us what you think. We love to hear our readers thoughts and what they think of our recipes. What do you add to your banana bread recipes?