Have you ever had a Buckeye Cupcake? These delicious salty but sweet cupcakes are the perfect treat for entertaining or just wanting a bit of comfort food. While I am not a huge peanut butter fan, they are one of the few cupcakes I consider worth sneaking a bit of peanut butter (I’m mildly allergic). There is just something about these cupcakes: their rich chocolate flavor and slight saltiness from the peanut butter.
One of the things that is also great about these cupcakes is that they are fantastic for entertaining. With the Superbowl right around the corner, it is time to start considering what to bring to the party or what you will serve guests if you are hosting this year. While these cupcakes take some time to prep, they are one of those gorgeous desserts that are a hit with just about everyone. Usually, one person has never had a Buckeye Cupcake, making a real treat when you see their reaction to having one of these delicious sweet treats for the first time.
Even though it is a bit time-consuming to prep, don’t worry; making a batch of Buckeye Cupcakes is very easy. The hardest part is waiting for most ingredients to get to room temperature and for the chocolate to melt. Just don’t be surprised if you have difficulty not eating a Buckeye Cupcake yourself once your house smells like one of these beautiful treats.
Ready to try making these cupcakes yourself? Check out our super yummy Buckeye Cupcake Recipe below! We are sure once you have made these sweet treats, these will be your go-to cupcakes for entertaining guests during the sports season!Print
Buckeye Cupcake Recipe
These cupcakes are a delicious brownie cupcake base with a sweet, salty peanut butter frosting. Cupcakes are also drizzled with an additional chocolate topping.
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 24 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour 24 Minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
Brownie Cupcake Ingredients:
1/4 cup Butter (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups White Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder (high quality)
12 Serving Cupcake Pan Pre-lined with paper liners
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
6 Tablespoons Butter (room temperature)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 cups Powdered Sugar
2–3 Tablespoons milk (use as needed)
Chocolate Topping Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons butter
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter over low heat using a double boiler. Make sure to stir to help it melt evenly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and cocoa powder. Stir with a fork until the cocoa looks evenly mixed. Add sugar.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients using a stand mixer on medium speed. Mix thoroughly. When finished, the batter will look smooth and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, to the batter mixture. Scrape the sides every so often to make sure everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Take the lined cupcake pan and fill each cup with batter until they are about ¾ full. Do not overfill.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once removed from the oven, remove from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Directions for Frosting:
- Mix the butter, vanilla, and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and other dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the icing is your preferred consistency.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Decorate each cupcake using your preferred icing method.
Directions for Chocolate Topping:
- Place the remaining chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring each time. Continue until thoroughly melted.
- Drizzle a generous amount on the top of each cupcake. Let sit and harden for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Store any leftover cupcakes in an air-tight container.
Are you looking for other delicious recipes to add to your weekly meal plan or maybe some other yummy entertaining dishes? Make sure to check out our full list of homemade recipes and food round-ups here!