Have you ever considered making homemade pickles? Honestly, a few years ago, I never would have imagined pickles, never mind eating them. I spent most of my life hating pickles; I always thought they had an odd texture and a strong, pungent taste. It wasn’t until my husband had me trying a variety of different types and trying homemade pickles in mom and pop restaurants that I found I I don’t dislike pickles – I dislike the cheap pickles served in most stores and delis.
Once I discovered I didn’t dislike pickles, I started experimenting more with pickles, including pickles and pickle juice in various recipes. One of the household favorite recipes using pickles now is a copycat chick-fil-a nugget recipe. The recipe is so good and pops with quality pickles and pickle juice!
Now there is only one issue I have enjoying pickles – the cost. While it may not seem like much, it adds up over time, especially if you are ingredient-conscious. From what I have seen, the only way to make sure your family is eating clean is by making homemade versions of popular foods. Not only do homemade recipes taste better, but they are cheaper too!
Making homemade pickles also seemed reasonably easy to me, especially with cucumbers being cheap. Nearly everyone has an overage of cucumbers at our local farmers’ market. Our neighbors also regularly give us some when they are in season. The only one in our family who is probably unhappy with us finding a homemade pickle recipe is Rylie. As the ultimate cucumber lover, she hates seeing one of our favorite foods not go directly in her belly!
Of course, the best part of our homemade pickle recipes is that it is super easy to make. Almost all the ingredients are things you can easily find in your kitchen. When I first made this homemade pickle recipe, I had to pick up a few spices (pickling spice and celery seed) on Amazon, but that isn’t a big deal at the end of the day (at least in my eyes). You can probably find your pickling spice recipe online, but I ended up buying a few different brands to determine which mix met my own family’s taste (once I know, I make it myself too. Believe me, we don’t judge in this household!).
Have you ever made your homemade pickles at home? Tell us about your own experience in the comments below or what you think of this recipe! We always love hearing your thoughts and your adjustments.
Want to tryPrint
Easy Homemade Bread & Butter Pickle Recipe
- Prep Time: 3 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 24 hours
- Total Time: 27 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 2-pint jars or one large jar 1x
- 2 / 3 cup of Sugar (adjust to taste, max 1 Cup)
- 2 Cucumbers
- 2 Tablespoons Pickling Spices
- 1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 3 Tablespoons Salt
- 2 cups Distilled Vinegar
- 2 Red Onions (chopped)
- Slice cucumbers into about ¼ thick slices, making sure to discard end pieces.
- Place all cucumber slices in a large dish and cover with about half the salt, making sure to spread it evenly over the pieces.
- Carefully start layering onions on top of pickles, spreading the remainder of salt on top of the mixture (do not mix).
- Cover the cucumber and onion mixture and set aside 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Uncover and mix the cucumber and onion mixture with a fork. Cover and let sit again for another 1 hour 30 minutes. Put the cucumber mixture aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the spices and sugar. Place spices in your chosen jar(s). Place vinegar in a jar, making sure to leave enough room for the cucumber mixture (DO NOT PLACE THEM IN THE JAR YET). Mix spice mixture and vinegar well in the jar(s). Put aside.
- In a large calendar, wash the cucumber and onion mixture. Strain as much water as possible.
- Start placing cucumber mixture in your jar, careful not to overfill the jar.
- Pour remaining vinegar on top of cucumber and onion mixture, making sure it is completely submerged. Cover with the jar lid.
- Let chill in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours before using. For more extended curing, make sure to shake the jar once or twice carefully. Toss after a week if you have not used the proper canning procedure.
Would you like to make other homemade recipes like this one? Check out our other easy-to-make recipes here!