Do you have any recipes that you love, especially while you are working on losing weight? Personally, I am a big fan of pitas. I got addicted to them while we lived in NJ and loved trying out different recipes. My problem with many of them, however, was that they were…well…a bit on the fattening side. Some of my favorite pitas were over 500 calories with the filling inside, which I thought were quite frightening, especially for a girl who was trying to lose weight!
With me trying to also save money, I started playing with quite a few recipes in my kitchen. After quite a bit of experimenting, I came up with a delicious recipe that everyone in my family loves. All the flavors come together to make the perfect dinner or lunch, and best of all, they are fairly low calorie – only 175 calories per serving or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints (PointsPlus as well for those trying to stick with the old program like me).
Feel free to tell us what you think of this yummy recipe below. While I try to stay away from naming brands, the only important note I will make is I try being careful with it comes to the pita bread. I found that the whole grain pita bread from Trader Joes and the 3 Point Whole Grain Pita Bread you can find in grocery stores work best with these recipes. While this may not sound like a lot of food at first, just be warned that this is a very filling recipe!
* If you want to cut calories even more, you can try Fat Free Greek Yogurt or a little less bacon. This is what I found was the best combination for everyone in my family.Print
Bacon & Blue Cheese Chicken Salad Pita Recipe
An easy to make, low calorie & low point chicken pita recipe. Very easy and filling to make!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 7 1x
- Category: Pita
- 2 cups (or 1 Bunch of Spinach)
- 1 1/2 cups of Cooked Chicken (about 1 lb)
- Pita Bread
- 2 oz of Blue Cheese (reduced fat)
- 1 cup of 2% Greek Yogurt
- 6 Slices of Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Pepper (for taste)
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the stems of the spinach and cut into strips. Set Aside.
- Mix together the blue cheese, Greek Yogurt, bacon, and pepper. Set Aside.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken. This is easiest while the chicken is still hot. Pat the chicken to make sure there isn’t excess liquid.
- Mix together the chicken, yogurt mixture, and spinach.
- Cut the Pita bread in half. Fill each half with the chicken and yogurt mixture. Serve cold.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Pita
- Calories: 175