If there is one thing I love, it is the taste of something sweet for breakfast. Having grandparents who originated from Europe, I was introduced to quite a few delicious ethnic foods. One such treat when we visited my grandmother were scones. It actually wasn’t until the past few years, however, that I had them again and learned to love them all over again! Since my husband likes them as well, I was determined to learn how to make them. What surprised me, however, was that it was very difficult to find a good scone recipe. It actually did take a a while before I found one, and it consisted of taking four to five recipes and taking the best aspects of all of them to create the perfect scone recipe.
With fruit starting to come into season and be relatively cheap again, I knew exactly what I was going to make – blueberry scones. After getting my blueberries together, I took my hand written recipe, using homemade flour from my grain mill, and decided to test it out. What I created may very well be the most delicious, easy to make scone recipe I had seen yet. Everything balances out perfectly, making a scone that is sweet and perfect with coffee, tea, or even milk!
For those who had never had scones before, don’t worry, they are very good! Imagines a slightly sweet biscuit with fruit and other delicious additions. Unlike biscuits, however, they are meant to go with coffee or tea, making them a perfect afternoon snack. Just don’t expect for these scones to be around long. If your house is anything like mine, these scones were gone in less than 48 hours!Print
Blueberry Scone Recipe
This scone recipe is the right mixture of sweet and has a very nice flavor with the fresh blueberries. Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack with tea or coffee.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Total Time: 32 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: English
- 1/2 cups of Milk
- 1/4 cup of Pure Cane Sugar
- 2 Tsp Dried Lemon Peel
- 1 Tbsp of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Milled White Wheat Flour or All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 3 Tbsp Butter (cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups of Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Egg White
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 2 TBSP Sugar in the Raw (or other coarsely granulated sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and make sure they are mixed thoroughly.
- Combine your flour mixture with the vanilla, milk, and butter. Mix in a stand mixer. The mix will be thick and sticky.
- Gently take the blueberries and fold them into the dough with a spatula. Be very careful not to break the blueberries.
- Flour the counter and your hands and place the dough on the floured surface. Shape the dough into a slightly thick circle (around 7 – 8 inches across).
- Take a butter knife and cute the circle into eight pieces.
- Grease a cookie sheet for the scones to bake on – you can use cooking spray or butter. Or, do as I did – I used a pizza stone for mine which I purchased from Pamper Chef.
- Place the scones on your baking surface, making sure nothing touches.
- In a separate dish, mix the egg white and sugar to create an egg wash. Brush it onto the top of each of the scones. Once they are thoroughly coated, sprinkle the coarsely granulated sugar (Sugar in the Raw) on top of the scones.
- Bake scones for 15 – 17 minutes in the oven or until they are golden brown. Serve hot with butter or cream.
Once you have made this recipe, please come back and tell us what you think. We always love to see what our readers think of our recipes!