Do you celebrate St Patrick’s Day? To me, March is the time to throw some corned beef in the pressure cooker or slow cooker and bake some delicious soda bread. The problem I have found with soda bread, however, is it is either really good or very bland. While bland bread is okay with a good corned beef, I personally think every piece of the meal should be amazing!
Being someone that spends a lot of time baking in the kitchen, I am constantly experimenting with different recipes. Recently, a friend of mine introduced to me an amazing Irish Bread recipe that I thought was out of this world! It not only had a great texture and flavor but was super easy to make!
Knowing that many of you would love a good soda bread recipe, I couldn’t wait to share her awesome recipe with you guys (with her permission, of course). Below, you will find this easy and delicious Irish Soda Bread Recipe. Feel free to tell us what you think below! Also, are there any foods you associate with St. Patrick’s Day?Print
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Looking for a yummy bread recipe for St. Patrick’s Day? Check out this delicious & easy Soda Bread Recipe!
- Category: Bread
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour (divided)
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 3 C Raisins
- 1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds (optional)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cups Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour (reserve 1 tablespoon), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins (optional) , and caraway seeds (optional)
- In a smaller bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture just until flour is moistened.
- Knead dough in bowl about 10 to 12 strokes.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough in the prepared pan and pat down.
- Cut a 4 x 3/4 inch deep slit in the top of the bread.
- Dust with 1 Tbsp flour.
- Bake in preheated oven for 65 to 75 minutes.
- Let cool and turn bread out onto a wire rack.
Never had soda bread before, sounds really neat.. especially the texture.
I’ve never tried soda bread. This sounds good!
Kelly Kimmell says
I haven’t had the opportunity to try soda bread. It sounds intriguing.