I will freely admit, I am a big kid at heart. Yes, I am one of those adults who will go in and watch a kids’ movie alone or make it a date night with my husband. There are some movies that are just memorable and hilarious to not just kids, but adults as well. Ever since Despicable Me came out, however, I have been in love with the minions. Its hard not liking these adorable yellow guys as they go out of their way to do the bidding of a super villain and make the situation as comical as possible. Even their evil selves are absolutely adorable. It really doesn’t surprise me that kids love these guys and parents don’t mind watching the antics either.
To me, the minions are the main reason I have watched all the Despicable Me movies and I really can’t wait to watch the new Minions movie when it comes out later this summer. Being such a huge fan, I was excited when a friend of mine made these gorgeous cupcakes for me as a surprise. Of course, she is a fan of the movies too. Only a true fan spends an evening creating adorable cupcakes that looks like minions, right? Oh, and the cupcakes themselves are banana flavored – of course! Any true minion loves bananas!
Knowing that many of you would love to be make these at home yourself, she was kind enough to share the recipe and directions on how to put these adorable cupcakes together. Personally, we can’t wait to make them ourselves! So, what do you think of these adorable cupcakes? Make sure to tell us what you think in the comments below!
Note: Special thanks to my friends Krista from Adventures of Country Divas for helping me with this recipe and pictures!
Minions Cupcake Recipe
Have someone in your household that loves minions? Check out this adorable Minion Cupcake Recipe, made with homemade banana cupcakes here!
- Category: Cupcake
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 4 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C shortening
- 3 C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C ripe mashed banana
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream
- 3 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP of heavy whipping cream
- Yellow food coloring
Royal Icing Recipe:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 + C powder sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine and cream the shortening and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing after each egg.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the bananas.
- Continue mixing while adding ingredients to make sure they are fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in the buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- With an ice cream scoop fill each paper lined cupcake tins until 3/4 filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure that the cupcakes are done by inserting a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Cream sweet cream with powder sugar until light and creamy.
- If not creamy ADD in the heavy whipping cream.
- If too soft ADD more powder sugar.
- Make sure that the frosting can form and maintain a stiff peak.
- Divide the frosting into 2 bowls.
- In first bowl put the white frosting in it.
- In the second bowl, add 4-5 drops of yellow food coloring.
- Stir to mix the color.
- Using a pastry bag with a large tip, scoop in the white frosting.
- Turn the pastry bag.
- Now scoop in the yellow frosting.
- Twist the loose end of the pastry bag forcing the frosting to come out.
- Test out the frosting to make sure the yellow have twisted together.
- Frost the cupcakes.
Royal Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients together on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Divide icing equally into 5 bowls.
- Pour icing into bowl #1 ADD 4-5 drops of yellow food coloring.Mix well.
- Pour icing into bowl #2 ADD 4-5 drops of royal blue food coloring. Mix well.
- Pour icing into bowl #3 ADD 4-5 drops of black food coloring. Mix well.
- Pour icing into bowl #4 ADD 4-5 drops of silver food coloring. Mix well.
- Pour icing into bowl #5 and leave it white.
- Search Google for an image of Minions.
- Copy/paste to word.
- Save to your folder.
- Print the image of the Minions.
- Tape the color printed image of the Minion to a cookie sheet.
- Cut/tear a sheet of wax paper.
- Tape the wax paper to the cookie sheet covering the printed sheet of the Minions.
- Using the royal icing trace the outline of the Minion with a #2 tip following the color outline displayed on the page under the wax paper.
- Using the yellow outline and fill in the body of the Minion.
- Using the royal blue outline and fill in the overalls.
- Using the black outline and fill in the symbol on the overalls, the mittens and boots and draw the mouth.
- Draw in the center of the eyes, hair, and side frames of the glasses also with the black.
- Using the silver outline the glasses and add in additional hair.
- Using the white royal icing… fill in the circle of the eyes.
- Allow 5-10 hours to dry.
- Make sure that the Minions are dry, gently push in on one of the Minion.
- If the Minion allows you to push in they are not dry.
- Remove the tape from the wax paper and cookie sheet.
- Cut the wax paper into squares surrounding the Minions.
- Gently peel off the back of the Minion.
- Make a small cut in the frosting in the center of the frosted cupcakes.
- Place the Minion in the cut to hold it up.