As some of you may remember, I have been having quite a bit of fun grinding my own flour at home as part of the Grain Mill Wagon Challenge. Just about every recipe I have tried has turned out perfectly with the flour, which has pleased me quite a bit! I never imagined that milling my own flour with my Wondermill Grain Mill would not only be easy, but save so much money on flour. While I have experimented mostly with bread up until this point, I thought it was time to see how this flour did with cakes.
After doing inventory in our fridge and pantry to see what ingredients I had in the house, I realized this would be the perfect time to make a pound cake. It has actually been years since I had one, so I thought it would be fun to experiment and make a delicious treat out with my newly milled flour. In the end, I had a truly delicious cake that was not only sweet, but had a nice chocolate flavor. The only problem we have had is that that we now have a lot of cake for a girl who is on a diet. I guess I may just have to make the sacrifice and eat some more of this delicious cake!
Before making this cake, just make sure you have a sifter if you are milling your own flour. Most of the flour we buy in stores is pre-sifted anymore, meaning this is a step that many people forgo. When you are milling your own flour, however, this is an important step – at least, it is if you don’t want to have an extremely dense cake. For example, 2 cups of freshly milled flour turns into about 3 cups of sifted flour. You don’t want to overdo it, so be careful!
If you decide to make this pound cake, please come back and tell us what you think. We love to hear what our readers think about our recipes!
Chocolate Pound Cake
A chocolate version of the classic pound cake. This cake is perfect for family gatherings.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 4 oz Bar of Semi-Sweet Chocolate (I use Ghiradelli)
- 3 cups Milled White Wheat Flour or All Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 lb or 4 sticks of Butter (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 10 Eggs (room temperature)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour your Bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- Grind your flour in the Wondermill Grain Mill.
- In a bowl, sift your flour. This is a very important step, don’t skip it! If you don’t pre-sift the flour the cake will be very dense.
- Mix the baking powder with the flour and set aside.
- With a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until it’s nice and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Start slowly adding the flour to the butter mixture. Do this at a low speed to avoid a mess.
- Break the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted. Set aside.
- Pour half the batter into a greased pan. Pour the chocolate in the remaining batter and then gently pour into the pan on top of the non-chocolate layer.
- With a spoon, gently swirl the batter, mixing the two layers. Do this slowly and only go around the pan once. This will create a chocolate swirl or marbled look in your cake.
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes in the oven. The cake will be finished when a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let set for 15 to 30 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. Let cool before serving.
Ari T. says
Yum! I’ve never milled my own flour, but I can definitely understand how it can effect the quality and freshness of your baked goods! This pound cake looks delicious to me, especially as it’s chocolate! I love the swirl and chocolate center look of your finished cake!
Susan Bewley says
Thank you, Ari! 🙂
Karen Sargent says
oh my gosh this looks TOO good! It looks pretty easy to make, too!
Susan Bewley says
Thank you! It is super easy and tastes amazing!
valerie guerrero says
ive been looking and looking for new ideas on cakes and i found this how awesome especially because i like baking different kinds of cakes with chocolate
OMG chocolate pound cake. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Minta Boggs says
Ok, now I’m hungry and this looks like such a tasty recipe..I might have to try it out this weekend!
This sounds delicious. The chocolate pound cake would go great with a cup of coffee!
Sandra VanHoey says
I have never had a chocolate pound cake before and I absolutely love anything chocolate. My sister makes a pound cake that is not chocolate but I love it. I know her and I both would enjoy this one. Thank You!
Dorothy Teel says
Oh Susan, this Chocolate pound cake sound delicious, we love pound cakes here and I also love Ghiradelli chocolate, I think I will save this recipe for our next family fathering and see if my kids like it as much as my hubby and I probably do
Susan Bewley says
It is sooo good! I really wanted to try it with dark chocolate but the hubby wouldn’t go for it.
I’ve never tried pound cake before. I t sounds good. I also appreciate that you mention not to skip sifting. I probably would have.
This recipe looks so delicious and tempting. I’m not good at making bundt cakes, but way I’ll give your recipe a go.
Susan Bewley says
It is super easy! Just make sure you great the pan very well and you should be fine 🙂
Lisa Ehrman says
My two favorite things in life: Chocolate and Pound cakes! thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!
Nena Sinclair says
Yum! I’ve never had chocolate pound cake before. This looks delicious!
RANDY FULGHAM says
I LOVE POUNDCAKE AND THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD RECIPE-I WILL GIVE IT A TRY….
Thanks for the recipe! This sounds like something I could use then the girls come over. We all love chocolate!
Wanda Tracey says
I have had pond cake before and enjoyed it very much.I have never had a chocolate pound cake though an I am anxious to try this.I think I will love this moist lovely cake.Thanks for posting the recipe.
Tami Lewis says
Perfect! I needed something new to make for my son’s birthday!
This brings back memories. When I was younger we used to buy pound cake all the time and eat it for dessert with ice cream. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
patricia salyers says
YUMMY!!! THANK YOU BUNCHES!
Minta Boggs says
This looks amazing and now I want to go and try this also!
Sandy VanHoey says
I love chocolate and I love pound cake. This looks like a good recipe to try
Mary Dailey says
I love pound cake and especially would love to try this chocolate one!
Jessica Medina says
Must try recipe!!!
anna pry says
I’d add a chocolate glaze to make it extra chocolatey
definitely going to try this recipe! It’s looking so delicious! Thank you for sharing it!
This is an easy and tasty recipe. Thanks for posting it.
Amy Lovell says
Yum! I love pound cake and adding chocolate would make it soo much more better thanks!
Denise Taylor-Dennis says
I love pound cake but I haven’t heard of chocolate pound cake. This looks so delicious.
Tamra Phelps says
I love pound cake & this chocolate one looks great! I need to try this one!
Terri S says
WOW! This sounds so good! 4 sticks of butter…I bet it is so moist!!! Yum!!!
kathy downey says
This looks amazing and easy to make ,will try this for sure ! Thanks