Want to try this soup for yourself? We think you will love this super easy recipe and may find that its very similar to what your mom made! Best of all, it includes only simple ingredients that you commonly find at home, allowing you to quickly put together a delicious stew without spending a fortune!
Note: Special thanks to my friends Shannon at Livingston Creatives for helping me with this recipe and pictures!Print
Old Fashion Beef Stew Recipe
OLD FASHIONED BEEF STEW Servings: 4-6 Time: 2 hr 20 min
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: entree
- Cuisine: soup
- 2 pounds stew beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash ground cloves (or ground allspice)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a very hot pan, brown meat with extra virgin olive oil.
- Once browned, add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and ground cloves. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- After removing the bay leaves, add carrots and celery. Cover and cook 30 to 40 additional minutes.
- To thicken the sauce, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly. Serve hot.
Would you like to see more recipes like this one? Make sure to check our full list of homemade recipes here!