While Daniel thinks I’m crazy sometimes, I love eating soup year round, even when it’s 90 degrees out. To me, soup has always been one of those comfort foods that can help you very easily relax. I always find summertime to be a great time to experiment with different types of soups, since vegetables aren’t just available, but can be at their cheapest if you buy them at your local farm store or farmers market. With so many different vegetables available, it is easy to make your own vegetarian recipe using common vegetables that you can find throughout the year.
When many people think of vegetable soup, they think of the bland, tomato base soup that you can find in a can. Personally, until I started making my own soups, I hated vegetable soups. I thought they were salty and tasted like bland frozen vegetables. Little did I know that I was right, many cans are bland, salty, and made from low quality vegetables. The best soups, at least from what I have found, usually take a long cooking time to bring out the best flavor, making them ideal for a crock pot or slow cooker.
This creamy soup may take a bit more work than your typical crock pot recipe, but I think it’s worth the effort. It is just one of those soups that is filled with flavor – you won’t even miss the meat that is in most soups. For those would like a creamier soup and don’t care if it’s vegetarian, I also put notes on things you can add to give it a bit more flavor. Personally, I prefer it being vegetarian, but I have made this soup both ways, depending on what I have in the house. While it may sound complicated, this is a very simple vegetarian recipe that is perfect for busy families!
Vegetarian Recipes: Creamy Vegetable Parmesan Soup with Italian Seasonings
Creamy Vegetable Parmesan Soup with Italian Seasonings Prep: 20 mins Cook: 5 hrs 30 mins Ready In: 5 hrs 50 mins
- 2 14 – 14.6 cans Diced Tomatoes Basil & Oregano Seasoning
- 1 cup Carrots Diced
- 1 cup Yellow Onions Diced
- 1 cup Celery Diced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Flour Roux Ingredient
- 2 cups Half & Half Or Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Dice the carrots, onions, and celery in a small chopper until finely cut. Put in crockpot.
- Dump Cans of tomatoes (including juice) in crock pot.
- Place Oregano, Basil, & Bay Leaf in Crockpot.
- Put warm chicken broth in crock pot.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, start making the roux.
- Roux Directions: Melt butter on low heat in a pot and add flour slowly. Stir constantly for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Roux Directions: Put in 1 cup of soup, then 3 cups, stirring until smooth.
- When the roux is finished, add it to the crockpot. Add Parmesan cheese, half and half, and pepper.
- Cook in crock pot for another 30 minutes on low. Serve Warm.